Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hindu traditions, water guns, & me

Karva Chauth is a ritual celebrated by married women mainly from northern Indian women from Punjab.

Basically women in their first year of marriage fast all day in a ritual which shows how the wife loves her husband since she's willing to suffer (fast) for him. After sunset, and upon seeing the moon, the women dress in the best clothing and offer prayers. They then receive their first bite of food from the beloved hubbies.

Touching stuff. Really.

As can be expected from my little waterside neighborhood is that scores of brown people are lining up along the water and performing their husband & wife rituals.


Now on one hand it's pretty cool to see people maintaining their culture by performing such rituals. On the otherhand the idea of a ton of Indian people sitting outside my window is too much of a temptation to resist any sane person with a water gun. Namely me.

So with Indian women wearing their finest clothes I made it rain. Oh I made it rain. The best part is that people couldn't run away because they had to finish their rituals. God comes first you know.

Now to be clear I asked my mom if I'll goto hell for spraying people with my Super Soaker (tm) while they're praying and she said no. So I'd say this is her way of saying "Go spray them my son." And you know what?... I'm not wanton to disobey my mom. Especially on Hindu-ritual days.


[to the Top of the Blog!]

7 comments:

Samosas for One said...

Freak!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you actually did what you claim you did. The water-marks are visible because part of the ceremony that couples performed involves spilling water - so that's from where the water is. You on the other hand just wanted to make a funny post out of it - like your creativity though!

-A

Anonymous said...

I don't think you actually did what you claim you did. The water-marks are visible because part of the ceremony that couples performed involves spilling water - so that's from where the water is. You on the other hand just wanted to make a funny post out of it - like your creativity though!

-A

Anonymous said...

Oops! sorry it got posed twice accidentally.
Consider that 2 people having this opinion ;)
-A

Shakes said...

oh dear me...clearly you don't know me because:
1) i actually did do it
2) i wrote about hitting people with my water gun before
3) i will never forget my mom laughing so hard
4) if i DID make it up, and the water marks were from couple spilling water, why would they spill water next to a the lamp post whicyh is so far away from the side of the walkway facing the moon and river....unless they were performing the ceremony in the bushes.

Alex said...

are you really the godfather to my son? i think that his spirituality may be hopeless...
(by the way: Scott wasn't very impressed because your water gun antics so common. I, on the other hand, that you were bold. Very bold. ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's that funny ! When people are performing there rituals I don't think it's great idea to disturb them ..