Thursday, October 22, 2009

the Al-Khair University Badgers

I was reading about some student unrest in some Pakistani universities and one thought immediately came to my mind: do their colleges have nicknames like colleges here?

For example I went to the handy dandy list-o-Pakistani universities and looking up schools like:
  • Aga Khan University
  • Al-Khair University
  • Bahauddin Zakariya University
  • Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering and Technology
  • Habib Public School
  • Isra University
  • Karachi University
  • Khyber Medical College
  • Liaquat University
  • Quaid-e-Azam University
  • University of Karachi
The colleges read like a South East Asian version of the Big 10. The pomp. The circumstance. The pageantry. Pakistani higher education (and yes to all my friends that went to Karachi Grammar School I understand it was a good school...)

I mean who hasn't seen the rivalry of the Habib Public School Wolverines versus the Quaid-e-Azam Golden Gophers. It's a storied rivalry that spans the ages. And who of course can forget the laughingstock that the Liquat University Fighting Falcons cricket team became last year?!?

And that ends my thoughts on that.


[to the Top of the Blog!]

No comments: