Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cheerios, zeros, and why India is great

When I was a kid I used to eat Cheerios. That was the cereal of choice in our homey home. I think it was because each Cheerio looked like a zero, to remind young and impressionable Indian kids that India was the inventor of the number zero until the Arabs "borrowed it."

This is a good fact to know and my parents taught me of this fact. Growing up I tended to think of how India had a history of watching its great jewels stolen by others, allow me to list a few:
  1. The Hope Diamond - the British
  2. Freddie Mercury - also the British
  3. Zero - Arabs, the founders of Arabic numerals
Now ordinarily the Zero Issue would not be one that I'd think about on a daily basis, but as of a year ago everyday at 2pm I do. As a matter of fact I think about a lot of reasons for why India is great at 2pm.

The reason: Everyday at 2pm my mom sends me 10-12 chain emails that have the following subject lines :
  • FW: INDIA IS GREAT!!! 17 REASONS WHY!
  • 7 WONDERS OF THE WORLD...FROM INDIA!!!!
  • FW: SITAR THE TRUE ROCK INSTRUMENT
  • FW: KASHMIR BELONGS TO INDIA!!!!
  • WHY SHAH RUKH KHAN IS MORE POPULAR THAN GEORGE CLOONEY
  • FW: DHARMENDRA!!!
  • FW: INDIA NUMBER 1, forward to 10 people for GOOD LUCK!!!
And so on and so forth. Everyday. Thanks mom.

[to the Top of the Blog!]

1 comment:

Nikita said...

Do you mean the Kohinoor diamond? I think you do. This is why your mom still sends you emails.