Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spin NYC....ping pong rally on

When most people think of ping pong they have visions of opening night parties at hi-fi hotels, dj's, open bars, cocktail dresses, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, comedian/30 Rock actor Judah Friedman, a former world champion, and me (member #178)

Typical stuff really.

And so this was the coming out party for my ping pong club. I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I got was a bizarro gathering of beautiful people at The Standard. The best part of the night was cheering for random people in the opening tourney and meeting other fellow "founding members." Good stuff.

Of course there was the occasional odd conversation with weird European people...not to mention a dude who lamented how the simple ideals of ping pong were somehow being compromised. He was a member of the club's original crew, Naked Ping Pong, and felt the soul was lost. Sigh. But he was saying all this while sipping on a free drink.

I'll chalk that sorrow up to his being a sad drunk.


[to the Top of the Blog!]

2 comments:

Samosas for One said...

Wow your version of Ping Pong is all fancy. Whenever I think of ping pong I think of those Indian parties my parents took me to every weekend as a kid, shag carpeting and Trivial Pursuit.

Have you ever played naked ping pong?! Wouldn't that be a tiny bit dangerous for men? :)

debonairdebacles said...

I like badminton myself.