Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Koreans, the Battle of Westphalia, and iTunes

I love political science, I really do...and while I try to objectively understand and respect the behavior of other countries, I can unequivocally say that North Korea's official statement regarding its recent rocket launch may be the one of the most ridiculous things ever said.

In fact, it may be the stupidest thing said since the dawn of the modern state, which is typically deemed to be 1648 with the Battle of Westphalia (the ensuing peace treaty introduced the concept of state sovereignty)
North Korea has described the launch -- which flew in the face of numerous international warnings -- in celebratory terms. State-run media KCNA said North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il expressed "great satisfaction" at seeing the launch of the rocket carrying a communications satellite.Not only did the country successfully send a communications satellite into orbit, KCNA said, but "it is sending to the Earth the melodies of the immortal revolutionary paeans 'Song of General Kim Il Sung' and 'Song of General Kim Jong Il.' "
Yes, that's right, the satellite of love is beaming down heroic songs about North Korea's leader. I tried looking them up on iTunes with the hopes that I could include them on my next podcast, sadly no dice.


[to the Top of the Blog!]

No comments: