Saturday, December 27, 2008

Coming to America, McDowells, & who we are as a people

There are some places in life that capture our imagination. There are places we see in movies or read about in books that make us wish we could go there.

For some it's the Yellow Brick road from The Wizard of Oz. For fatter people it's The Land of Chocolate from The Simpsons. For the illiterate it's....well...1955 from "Back to The Future."

But all of these pale in comparison to a mythical place that captured the hearts and mind of every kid who believed in America. Yes my friends, I'm talking about the fast food place of McDowell's from "Coming to America" where Eddie Murphy (Prince Hakeem) works as a janitor and meets owner Mr. McDowell's daughter, Lisa.

Now clearly the restaurant isn't a real place, or is it...

Major props go to my brother who upon watching the movie again today and noticed that they mention the McDowell's address, 85-07 Queens Blvd.

So what did he do? He Google Mapped (yes "Google Mapped" is a verb) 85-07 Queens Blvd., Queens, NY 11373 and found what's in its place! ....and it's also a fast food place, Wendy's !!!
I know. This is big.

In this picture he put together you see a picture of the present-day Wendy's restaurant and in the corner, an screenshot of a picture of McDowell's from the movie.

Yes this is groundbreaking stuff.

Forget about trying to figure out the plot of the Mumbai attackers or who's to blame for the present housing crisis. This kind of research should win award. Big awards. Awards given out at large gala events.

Things to do in my life before I die #372 : Eat at this Wendy's

[to the Top of the Blog!]

4 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

It's as fine a goal as any.

Patrick Sweeney said...

It's nothing special. The folks behind the counter know nothing of the significance of this location.

Matt said...

I was just watching Coming To America, and, googling "McDowell's" and "85-07 Queens Boulevard" scouring for the answer to this great mystery. Thank you for doing the groundwork.

I plan to don a matching vest and tie in the McDowell family tartan style when I visit.

BillyD said...

I used to eat at that Wendy's all the time when I was a kid. One day on my way to school (Newtown HS)I decided to stop in at Wendy's to eat and I looked up and saw a billboard for SoulGlo and when I stared at the restaurant I saw that it was renamed to McDowell's! The doors were locked but when I got to school and I told the other kids no one believed me. They took a walk with me to McDowell's and saw that it was open and a construction crew was there and we were told the Wendy's would reopen in about a week. Years later I saw Comming to America and there it was, McDowell's!