Tuesday, April 22, 2008

flying to Bombay, bears, & Burt Reynolds

Sometimes we hit big life epiphanies in the most amazing places. There is something about being outside of your normal elements that cause a bit more introspection. Other times we make insignificant observations at 30,000 feet. So it is here while flying from Madras to Bombay that I made one of life's fine realizations: truck drivers refer to cops as smokey bears!

I was listening to C.W. McCall's 1971 superhit "Convoy" (oddly enough I purposely selected to listen to it as opposed to it being a weird occurrence while playing songs under the shuffle) and actually paid attention to the lyrics. The CB-esque voice of the main narrator kept talking about smokies being on the ground and even in the air


Suddenly everything started making sense. That's why those Burt Reynold's movies were called "Smokey and the Bandit". Burt was the Bandit (duh) and the highway patrolman was Smokey.

We had eighty-five trucks in all But they's a road block up on the clover leaf An' them bears 'as wall to wall Yeah them smokies 'as thick as bugs on a bumper They even had a bear-in-the-air
I guess the next logical question is why are cops called Smokies to begin with? Maybe it's because of Smokey The Bear, who despite his good intention of telling people that they could prevent forest fires could be seen as being rather bossy and a know-it-all? Clearly he could be a target of hate from both other wilderness animals and traffic violators alike.

I guess this would be a neat thing to research further but my plane is landing. As usual once I touch land most of my intellectual curiosity diminishes and my inability to stay interested in any topic longer than 3 or 4 minutes returns. I shall now listen to my iPod playlists and skip each song after 30 seconds.


No comments: