Monday, January 7, 2008

skating & yelling at kids

One thing which is important for all people who are almost 30 is to exhibit a sense of maturity and class in the way you carry yourself and deal with others. That is why I was compelled to a tell this 12 year old kid at the local skating rink yesterday that he sucked.

Saying that I told him he sucked isn't a funny summary of my remarks to him which could've included "Hey I don't think you're nice" or "Stop talking to me"...no no no. I literally say "You suck."

As much as I love hockey (go Kings go!) it always struck me as a bit weird that I had never actually skated before. So with that I was skating for the first time and while making one of my forays away from the rink's wall, the crutch of choice for novices, I fell on my ass. This is nothing new. However as I was getting up a little bastard was laughing saying "Hahaah! You fell so hard... you really stink"

I said in between his little banter "Shut up!". Classy. I followed that with "You suck, at least I'm trying to skate instead of walking along the boards."

The kid had been was walking around the rink the whole night semi-rudely saying to people in his way "Excuse me!" So to be fair the kid had been pissing me off for a little while before.

The Ice Demon then putzed over to his dad and told on me. That dad never approached me though. At this point I was thinking to myself "Dude I'm 29 and I'm picking on a kid less than half of my age." At this point I know what a lot of you are thinking, "why does Shakes refer to himself as 'dude' in his inner voice?" Why you ask? Because it just feels right. But that's neither here nor there. So I found the kid and yelled out "Hey I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mean" to which he replied "ahhhuugh"

What a little bastard.

1 comment:

The Grouch said...

you should have punched the boy's bits.