Friday, December 28, 2007

gooney goo goo

My new word/phrase going into 2008 is going to be "gooney goo goo."
Unlike most forward thinking Americans I finally watched Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" like 15 years after it was released (okay well techniaclly 14). But that being said the scene where Eddie does an imitation of his drunk dad yelling at people at a family BBQ is classic....and that's where he describes his Uncle Gus's wife "Bunny". And after you watch 30 seconds of the clip below and realize that the rest is history after he unleashes the phrase "gooney goo goo."

Gooney goo goo as you can imagine has alternate spellings, ranging from "guni gugu" to "gooneygugu." Regardless it's funny shit.*



The transcript goes something like this: (remember it's starting out from the perspective of Eddie talking like his dad)
But you know what it is, Gus... You told me you met your wife 15 years ago on a motherfucking camping trip and that your wife was Puerto Rican. Your wife ain't no motherfucking Puerto Rican!"

I thought she wasn't from the first minute Gus 'cos I walk up and say "Hello It's good to meet you my name is Vernon."

And she said: "Hello, I'm Bunny. Gooney goo goo"

What the fuck does gooney goo goo mean Gus? I don't know what the fuck that shit is to this day. I thought I learned some new Spanish shit.

I went up to my friend: "Hey, Sanchez! Gooney goo goo!" And Sanchez says: "Get the fuck outta here!"
What's actually even funnier is at 7:30 minutes of the clip when a woman in the audience yells out for Eddie to do his Gumby impression and a man screams back instantaneously without even a hint of a pause "Shut Up Bitch!"

This is why America is great.


*Eddie also uses the epic phrase "gooney goo goo mobile" in this segment as well while describing Gus & Bunny's car

[to the top of the blog!]

2 comments:

MsBehave said...

Gooney Goo Goo is the freakin' shit!! My 13 year old is obsessed with that phrase. I say we get all of the teens to start saying it! Viva la cultural de-evolution! Muahahahaha

Courtney Handebo said...

OMG GUNI GUGU is frikin hilarious!! I'm 15 soon and I saw this video and ever since me and my friends have been saying guni gugu and singing the ice cream bit. If you like this then watch Donald Glover's Weird stand up-its f**king funny!!! If everyone started saying guni gugu then I reckon all the adults would be like WTF!! haha xx