Monday, October 1, 2007

London, Family Vacay Day 3 1/2: Sitting in my hotel room, A Tale of Two Nights, & Radiohead

3:30am on a Monday morning in London is a good time to contemplate the question: why would I fly to London to watch two hockey games featuring your beloved LA Kings when I could’ve just watched it on TV? Oddly enough it’s the same question that most Brits asked me as well. The answer, much like Sir Edmund Hillary told his trust Sherpa: because it was there.

After watching a fantastic opening game won 4-1, the Kings returned to last year's mid-season form by returning the favor and losing 1-4 last night. While Saturday’s seats placed me smack dab in the middle of a Kings fans from home who made the journey, for Sunday my fate evened out as I was sadly planted next to some drab Europeans who didn’t seem pleased when I would occasionally yell “Kill Jack Kill!” as a sign of positive encouragement for particular youngster.
Dude when even wikipedia admits that a kid's nickname is Jack "MoFo" Johnson, you know things are serious.

If there’s one thing that sucks about London it’s the fact that the US Dollar means less and less to these people. Going to HMV is as humbling experience as the initial excitement of a CD on sale costing 10 subsides as you realize it’s 10 quid…or $20. It’s like paying 1991 CD prices all over. I know England is full of history, but there’s no reason to keep some of those painful chapters alive. Either way it still didn’t stop me spotting a lucky buy when I saw one, as Radioheads’ hard to find mini album “Airbag/ How Am I Driving” release from 1998 single release was my music catch of the weekend.

It’s infinitely easier to find music now on the internet than it used to be from putzing around store to store, but there’s something about finding that rare gem at the ol’ record shop that’s infinitely satisfying. The winner and still champion: Me? Well perhaps, but definitely HMV’s sales department. I basically bought an album which I already have digitally and at $30 the 5 song album costs an average of $6 dollars/song making it a relatively expensive addition to the music collection. But having music its original form is a big thing in my books. Not quite priceless, but close.

Next stop: Venice.

No comments: