Tuesday, August 21, 2007

DJ Shakes_2007-08-21 (U2)

http://hbshakes.blogspot.com
theme: U2

Okay so my favorite group is U2 and I pretty much consciously abstain from including them in most of mixes because I'm a little bit biased towards. In many ways they're sorta like a "musical home" from me; although I depart from them for long periods of time I usually find my way back to them. So here again I have found my way back to them. This is my mix of songs that I like, based on my current mood anyways, and while most of them won't be found on any Best-Of album I think most fans will agree that they're each classics in their own right. (although the very same fans would argue that 95% of their songs are classics and spend the next 10 years debating it on various fan blogs)

Since the artist is U2 in each case, I put the album in parenthesis next to the song title.

T R A C K L I S T I N G (approx 66min)

[0:00] Intro
[1:02] I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Joshua Tree)
[5:16] The Unforgettable Fire (The Unforgettable Fire)
[9:25] Hawkmoon 269 (Rattle & Hum)
[12:23] Hallelujah (B-side from "Desire" single)
[16:19] Ultraviolet (Achtung Baby)
[21:20] Stay (Zooropa)
[26:10] Walk To The Water (B-side from "With Or Without You" single)
[30:35] Heartland (Rattle & Hum)
[35:14] Your Blue Room (Passengers)
[40:13] I Fall Down (October)
[43:27] Shadows and Tall Trees (Boy)
[48:09] Dirty Day (Zooropa)
[52:40] If God Will Send His Angels (Pop)
[57:06] Elvis Presley In America (The Unforgettable Fire)
[63:18] 40 (War)


Since the artist is U2 in each case, I put the album in parenthesis next to the song title. This conveniently leads to the great fan debate over which is the best U2 album. Most will say it's "Joshua Tree" and it's pretty difficult to ignore, and some will say it's the follow-up "Achtung Baby" almost perversely because Joshua was sooo good that any guys who totally change their entire musical style and make it great needs to be noticed (I mean they basically started the alternative musical genre).

The Joshua Tree was actually originally supposed to be a double album, but since they rarely do well 7 of the songs were cut and used as B-sides. It's a shame because the B-sides, 2 of which are on this mix, are really pretty tremendous. As good as Joshua is, I think it would've undiluted and just as good with the original 18 songs or so...oh and as for my favorite album, probably 1993's "Zooropa"..

DIRECTIONS: Right mouse click on the tracklisting above to save the entire mix (mp3) directly or Podcast Me! Simply drag the orange podcast icon on the top left of this page into your iTunes. Or:

1. goto iTunes
2. click on Advanced
3. click on Subscribe to Podcast:
4. paste this URL http://feeds.feedburner.com/EngineEngine9

If the link doesn't work, just message me and I'll upload the file again.

5 comments:

aunty shwetha said...

abbey gaddhe. ju are not mixing the indian music. dammit, these are the roots. bloody. aaj kal bachhas.

:)

Shakes said...

oh fo, do not feat the indian will be back

shwetha said...

i really liked the mix between 30m - 63m though.

Shakes said...

aww thanks, that's awesome

Anonymous said...

So Silly....and I'm Irish.