Sunday, July 1, 2007

strangers in the night....

The PATH train from NY to Jersey rocks. As the leads singer in the band Interpol disparagingly said in the last edition of New York Magazine, it's amateur hours for drunks on Friday nights. Well my friends, where there's smoke there's fire, and where there's drunk people there's entertainment.

My job, of course, is to play the role of the interested observer. So while traveling home the other day, I noticed these two strangers sitting next to each other, I know they're strangers because they got on at different stops when all of a sudden, unbeknownst to our white friend, the Indian guy suddenly put his hand behind him.

It's almost like they were sharing an intimate moment on the train...except for the fact that there were several dozen onlookers and that only the Indian guy really wanted to have this moment....and that the white guy had no clue what was going on behind him.

People often say to me "hey Shakes, you're a handsome guy, why do you live in Jersey?" Believe you me, I understand where they're coming from. But it's these random desi spottings that keep me here.

For anyone who has ever been to India, one of the funnier things to observe is how carefree guys are to hold one anther's hands...and when I say this I don't mean guys in a relationship, I mean straight guys. I mean technically speaking I don't know if they're straight since I don't really stop and ask them, but for a land of a billion people I'm pretty sure that there are more than a few of them who are straight in order to make all these babies. It seems as though our Indian friend on the train is trying to bring this time-honored tradition of male camaraderie to the states.

We applaud your efforts oh strange one.

[back to the top of the BLOG!]

2 comments:

marie said...

this actually has nothing to do with this blog, but ive only read a few of your entries here and there, and you talked about how u were taking pics and these 2 asians didnt know that a brown man was doing w/e, so like what nationality are you? and why, i mean out of every culture race etc., do you make fun of indians??
coment back pls!!!!
P.S. i find ur site to be strangely addictive....

Shakes said...

hahah...well thanks for reading :)...and as odd as this seems I am Indian. i only make fun of Indians I think I'm pretty good at noticing our strange mannerisms and odd things I've seen them do...not because I hate who I am or anything. besides lets be honest, there are a lot of goofy Indians.