Friday, July 13, 2007

Eureka!

When I was younger I used to like Physics. Then as I got older I realized that while Physics is nice and all, it doesn't really work in the real world. For example Newton's First Law says than an object in motion tends to stay in motion. Well anyone who's ever worked before knows that if you ever leave a project for like 2 days everything grinds to standstill. Also, what happens when shit hits the fan?....That's not really a physics question but still.

In any case during these Physics loving times I also liked cartoons a lot. To be fair, I still like cartoons a lot now. The point is that any combination of cartoons and Physics was a slam dunk form of pure entertainment in my books. I guess this is what they call edu-tainment, when you can actually learn useful things and be pleased about it at the same time. However most rational people would agree that the more you learn from TV the less fun it is. TV is best when it is mindless but includes cool pictures in HD.

But I digress.

There used to be a series on PBS called "Eureka!" that my high school Physics teacher had us watch which was one of the best forms of learning. Ever. Objectively speaking. I hadn't seen it in about 10 years until I stumbled upon it a few hours ago on the lovely youtube…

Please note the catchy theme song, the goofy humor, and most importantly the preaching of the principles of Physics!

No comments: