Sunday, July 22, 2007

DJ Shakes_2007-07-22 (eclectic)

http://hbshakes.blogspot.com
theme: eclectic

Sorry for the long delay, this mix has a little bit of everything. My personal new fave is "Zorastrian Star" by Fusing Naked Beats (at 11:15 of the mix). In my humble opinion it's probably one of the best Asian underground tracks in a long while. For those of you keeping score at home Zorastrians are followers of the Iranian prophet Zorasthurstra. Who would've thunk?

Anyhoo enjoy the mix!

T R A C K L I S T I N G (approx 61min)

[0:00] Me - Awww yeah
[0:00]
David Holmes - Soul Town (from "Oceans 13")
[1:53] Young MC - Know How

[3:57] Common - The Game

[7:07] Blue Boy - Remember Me
[11:15] Fusing Naked Beats - Zorastrian Star (feat. Unnati)
[14:39] Bollywood: "Chahoonga Mai Tujhe Sanjh Savere" from Dosti (1964)
[17:10] Karsh Kale - Free Fall (Jayant's Remix)
[23:22] Underworld - Rez
[26:59] Cut Chemist - Spoon
[30:34] Beastie Boys - Pass The Mic
[32:16] Brother Ali - Take Me Home
[36:56] Cornelius Brothers - Too Late To Turn Back Now
[39:51] Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl
[42:01] Amy Winehouse - Love Is A Losing Game
[44:26] Junior M.A.F.I.A. - Get Money
[48:39] Jef Stott - Funky Nawari (Drumspyder's Midnight Snack Wrap Up Mix)
[53:35] Chemical Brothers - A Modern Midnight Conversation
[56:06] Interpol - The Lighthouse


I chose songs that have a weird thread of connection between them. For example the Karsh track had a similar noise that rings through to Underworld's "Rez." Also when I first heard Cut Chemist's "Spoon" I felt like I had heard it before...hopefully you see the connection with the middle verse and beat in the old Beastie Boys classic "Pass the Mic."

The whole mix end on the uber dark Interpol track which seemed oddly fitting. I dunno if the Chemical Brothers track before it works super well, but I like it and that's good enough for me.

DIRECTIONS: Right mouse click on the tracklisting above to save the entire mix (mp3) directly or Podcast Me! Simply drag the orange podcast icon on the top left of this page into your iTunes. Or:

1. goto iTunes
2. click on Advanced
3. click on Subscribe to Podcast:
4. paste this URL http://feeds.feedburner.com/EngineEngine9

If the link doesn't work, just message me and I'll upload the file again.

[click HERE for the top of the blog]

No comments: