Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Asian people at CPK

Asian people are funny. But that's neither here nor there. I have a Chinese friend named Ernie who I grew up with who once broke the axle of his car while trying to avoid hitting a cat. He ended up hitting the sidewalk curb, cracking the axle, and still managing to kill the cat. Now he aims for cats as he drives.

In that same spirit a recent trip to the California Pizza Kitchen (a staple diet of all ex-pat Californians) resulted in me sitting next to a table of 2 Chinese girls. While this is not abnormal event, the events that followed were. They stared face down into their menus for almost 30minutes. During that time they finished two rounds of drinks (non-alcoholic). It's like they were studying the menus for finals.

As a side note, my pics that I took with my phone should not be characterized as "stalking," it was done for scientific/journalistic purposes.

11:27am: Subjects stare are their menus....








...and continue to stare at their menus again.... (sorry it was blurry)








...oh boy now the pressure is really getting big....the waitress is going to ask for their answers and their test papers are going to be totally blank...











...so they stall by ordering drinks...












...and after nearly 40 minutes later they order....you guessed it...dumplings! How ironic. I nearly spit out my BBQ Chicken Pizza when I saw this. Dude, there is no way I can make this stuff up. My imagination may be glorious, but it's not that good. I also have no idea how they were oblivious to a a brown guy taking pictures of them from 2 feet away.

2 comments:

The Grouch said...

In Singapore, you could get caned for that (taking pictures of unsuspecting asian women. Three strokes, I hear.) I'm just saying...

Shakes said...

hmm. what about unsuspecting asian women taking too much time and hence diverting my waitresses attention to my table? where's the justice in that singapore? where i ask? where?