Monday, May 7, 2007

Spot The Desi #9: American Chai??

So I was watching TV, as I'm wanton to do, when the new Citibank commercial popped up. Now this of course is nothing unusual. Citibank has a big role in my life...not professionally but rather because that's where I do my banking. Also the good people of Citibank are kind enough to have their Indian office call me nearly every Saturday morning at like 8am to tell me about how much of a valued customer I am.

Anyhoo so I was watching the new Citibank commercial, which I must say is pretty damn good. It actually does what very few commercials can do which is to create an emotional attachment to an ice cold heartless firm. But that in it of itself is not remarkable, what's neat is that tucked away in the first half of the commercial is a shot of two Indian talking....one of them with curly hair. No it's not Sanjaya and it's not Surya The Apprentice but it's a fellow who may seem a bit familiar...I THINK it's Aalok Mehta, better known as Sureel from "American Chai"

Oh, by the way, you can see the commercial HERE, where our hero makes his appearance within the first 10 seconds.

Now there is a distinct possiblity that it's not the dude from "American Chai" and it's just one more person in a long line of big-haired Indian actors (e.g. Rishi Kapoor, Shatrughan Sinha, me, etc.)

5 comments:

The Grouch said...

check the url again

Shakes said...

linko fixed...

Anonymous said...

Shakes, I don't think it's the same guy.

Anonymous said...

it is aalok mehta and the other guy is kunal nayyar from the big bang theory

Shakes said...

well so much for that theory..