Wednesday, March 21, 2007

grown-ups lie

When I was in 3rd grade my elementary school teacher said that when there is world peace she will invite us back for a pizza party with donuts. She continued that every year she tells her class this and at the grand World Peace Party she would invite all the old classes back.

I had my general reservations about the whole matter. I remember thinking that the sheer logistics would be hard to sort out. I mean is she really going to have all her classes fit into the current class. I mean we were a full class of 30 kids, and this lady must be at least 100 years old or so, so that's like a lot of people in one room.

But I was quickly reassured that I wasn't offbase because that was the first question that a fellow progressive thinking classmate asked, "Will there be enough pizza for everyone?" You gotta love kids, they really cut right through all the crap and hit the important issues. The old lady assured us that there would not be a supply shortage.

Well with that issue squared away there really seemed to be no more roadblocks that I could think of. Now you have to think about how this sounds from the perspective of an 8 year old, to this day I remember sitting in my seat (I was on the far left the classroom, about twenty feet from the door) thinking that the biggest obstacle in the problem wasn't the possibility of world peace. Surely we'd have world peace, I figured it was about 2 or 3 years away max.

Lo and behold it's been more than a few years since 3rd grade and I haven't quite gotten the call yet. Yet again I think what this story really does is not shed light on how positive and idealistic kids can be. No. Instead the bigger takeaways is that adults will often times deceive and trick little children to win them over.

No comments: