Saturday, February 3, 2007

Tipping, it's not just a city in China

People often write to me and say "I like your objective viewpoints on religion, science, and current affairs, but can you include more posts on things you personally like and dislike?"

Well readers from Germany and Dubai, wait no more.

Little things have a way of becoming of very annoying to me. One of them is tipping. It's not so much of how much people tip or don't tip, it's how they calculate tip. People should be able to tip without having to use a calculator. It baffles me how many people need to use their cellphone to figure out simple calculations. I mean it's not like this is quantum physics. Furthermore I find it annoying when people feel the need to calculate tip down to the cents....after all 15% is 15%. Come on people, you can just round to the nearest dollar. It's okay to pay someone 67cents more...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the defense of the mathematically less superior than you, some people just want to calculate the tip to ensure they get it right and not underpay. Rounding to the nearest dollar or two is always permissible thereafter. :)

Shakes said...

i can't help but feel that you are merely masking your own personal behavior as a more general hypothetical situation in the efforts of getting people to disagree with my stance thus unknowingly make you feel like you're doing the right thing.

only a lawyer would pull a move like that. only a lawyer.

Anonymous said...

Everyone should have the right to legal counsel, even tip calculators. But mathematical counsel ("one decimal over") helps, too.

Rashmi said...

vedic maths worked for me!

Omega Supreme said...

I heard Ganesha was a good tipper.