But I digress.
While watching the Prez speak I came to one solid conclusion: If this guy was in high school MUN or speech & debate he would get shredded up. If you close your eyes and forget for a moment that he's the Commander & Chump (oh what a slumber that would be!) you can't help but feel that the way he answers questions is akin to that of annoying delegate in some debate committee...the kind whom everyone can't stand because they have an inability to have substance in their speech.
Okay so it's easy to take random shots at the guy, I mean it's not like everyone else doesn't do it, but look at his quotes from today:
- The Prez on working with Iraqi forces: "The coordination's good. In other words, there's good conversation, constant conversation between the commanders of the -- of our troops and their troops. And that's a positive development."
- The Prez on potential Irani weapons used in Iraq: "But the point I made in my initial speech in the White House about Iraq was -- is that we know they're there and we're going to protect our troops. When we find the networks that are enabling these weapons to end up in Iraq, we will deal with them."
- 15 seconds later the Prez on Irani weapons in Iraq: "If we find agents who are moving these devices into Iraq, we will deal with them. I have put out the command to our troops -- I mean, to the people, our commanders, that we'll protect the soldiers of the United States and innocent people in Iraq, and we'll continue doing so."
- The Prez paints a rich tapestry of the land of Iran: "And I believe Iran is a unbelievably vital nation. It's got a great history. It's got wonderful traditions. It's got very capable, smart people."
- ....why don't we have one more comment about protecting our troops 1 minutes later: "...And I've asked our commanders to do something about it. And we're going to protect our troops. "
- ....okay, okay, how about one more reassurance while being asked about about the quality of U.S. intelligence even though it doesn't really apply to the question being answered: "The idea that somehow we're manufacturing the idea that the Iranians are providing IEDs is preposterous. My job is to protect our troops. And when we find devices that are in that country that are hurting our troops, we're going to do something about it, pure and simple."
- ...can't we have one more? : "Does this mean you're trying to have a pretext for war? No. It means I'm trying to protect our troops. That's what that's means."
- The Prez on how he is in touch with the world around him and the events in Iraq: "I can only tell you what people on the ground whose judgment -- it's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a first-hand assessment. I haven't been there. You have. I haven't... It is, however, a dangerous situation, thereby requiring action on my part."
- The Prez describing a breakthrough revelation on the laws of supply and demand to an audience in awe: "by the way, the -- when the demand for corn stays high, the price tends to go up and your hog farmer gets disgruntled with the alternative energy plan."