Thursday, February 8, 2007

DJ Shakes_2007-02-08 (Cali)

http://hbshakes.blogspot.com
theme: I miss California

Okay, as Mother Nature makes her bid to reverse all global warming trends over the course of one week my feelings for wanting to be home have only intensified. I miss Southern California. As such this is my little ode to home, with songs about L.A., surf rock (easy going rock with male harmonies, hence the The Shins in the tradition of the Beach Boys), and a song here and there of what I used to listen to while growing up (hence Stone Temple Pilots & Rancid).

T R A C K L I S T I N G (approx 57min)

[0:00] Intro - Me
[0:56] Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California
[4:30] Randy Newman - I Love L.A.
[7:21] Sheryl Crowe - All I Wanna Do
[11:15] Sublime - Doin' Time
[15:02] 2Pac - To Live and Die in LA
[19:00] Notorious B.IG. - Going Back to Cali
[22:47] The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin'
[25:16] Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
[29:06] Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice
[31:25] Counting Crows - A Long December
[36:09] Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
[39:10] Rancid - Time Bomb
[41:30] The Shins - Phantom Limb
[46:02] Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle With You (from Reservoir Dogs)
[49:12] The Lively Ones - Surf Rider
[52:20] Beach Boys - Help Me Rhonda
[55:18] The Tornadoes - Bustin' Surfboards


Of all the mixes I've made, this one will appeal to the least number of people I think, and that's okay. I can always make a bhangra mix later that will get like half of the Punjab to download it. In the meantime don't forget, everything is better in Orange County. That being said, please note that there isn't that song "California" by the Phantom Planets because I hated the TV show The O.C... When the Chili Peppers sang about Californication, that's the kinda shit they were warning about.

When I think about songs like "Long December" by the Counting Crows it makes me remember very much my first year in college. Staring out of my window in Chicago at the grey and snowy winters made me feel miserable and hearing lines like "Feeling like it's all a lot of oysters and no pearls...and it's one more night in Hollywood, to think that you might come to California, I think you should" struck a cord with me. It's just a good song to feel sad to and long for home.

DIRECTIONS: Right mouse click on the tracklisting above to save the entire mix (mp3) directly or Podcast Me! Simply drag the orange podcast icon on the top left of this page into your iTunes. Or:

1. goto iTunes
2. click on Advanced
3. click on Subscribe to Podcast:
4. paste this URL http://feeds.feedburner.com/EngineEngine9

(If the link doesn't work, just message me and I'll upload the file again)

No comments: