Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A.D.D. & you

Attention Deficit Disorder used to be the type of thing that kids in elementary school were closely observed for and treated accordingly. Now I'm pretty sure that I can' say with certainty that everyone has ADD. It's true. It's my opinion and it's a fact. When was the last time you let you iPod play a full song? I think if you're like most people who probably hit next after like 45 seconds and this sorta feel normal. Frankly you can kinda get bored of the song before it even begins.

In fact there's a pretty good chance that some of you are tired of reading this after only a few sentences. Go figure. The problem is with the reader I say, not the writer.

The funny thing is that if you keep the focus on music it's not exactly a recent phenomenon that you get tired of songs quickly. In fact that's the whole point of pop music, catchy song that were kept under 3 minutes. I mean listen to an oldies radio stadio and all the songs are like that...although I must say that it's rather odd that early 80s stuff appears on oldies now so hearing The Police is a bit disheartening. Nearly the entire Beach Boys catalog follows that formula... and some of my hater friends would argue that all their songs sound the same too, but that's clearly not true. The Shins (new album in January!) were founded on the premise of making 3 minute pop songs too.

Hooray.

So basically general ADD is not a new phenomenon, it's been there for a while. I often think about the old TV show "Little House on the Prairie" and thank god I never lived in the olden days, reincarnation withstanding, I'd get so bored. If I did live in those days I'd probably go upto Michael Landon and be like "the shit is wack, i'm bailing from this village." Or something like that.

No comments: