Thursday, September 21, 2006

subway jerks

One bizarro thing that's happened to me as I've gotten older and worked more and more is that I find myself pleasantly tolerant of big problems and hopelessly annoyed at small things. As such the NY subway gives ample opportunities to be pissed off at many things. In a city where the concept of personal space is a pipedream, the trains take it to the illogical extreme. I've already waxed poetic enough about trains before ("on the #4 train," August 1, 2006) so I'll keep today's list of annoyances short. Sure I've been ticked off about people who try to get on the train before I can get off, or random Indian people who like to unapologetically stare at me, but what I'm about to say takes the cake.

More often than not, a train ride means that you're gonna be standing up for some duration of your journey and more often than not you're holding on to a pole or handle in front of someone who's sitting down. This in a vacuum is rather funny if you think about it because you're basically standing with your pelvis in complete strangers face for several stops. This may be enjoyable for some readers out there. In fact for some of you out there this may be a normal weekend occurrence, but not I said the fly. But I digress. It seems to me that as a person who is paying the same amount as a sitting passenger, I'm getting the short end of the stick. But do not fret, I'm not one to complain, after all first come first serve. Besides, we Standers are a proud and noble motley crew. Just because we started our train journey in the middle of a line's route and cannot get a seat doesn't mean we abandon public transportation altogether. Au contraire bonjour we relish our time to stand. I would rather be a Stander over a Sitter any day. Unless of course there is a seat available that is not next to a smelly man.

What I cannot stand is that when the train starts approaching a Sitter's stop, they feel the need to stand up and try to move to the door while I'm still standing there. It's as if somehow they have a right to take your spot. The worst part is that if you don't move they sorta get pissed as if you're depriving them of them exalted Sitter's Status. Well fuck you I say. Little do most of them seem to realize also that I can't easily move aside because (a) there is no place for me to go, and (b) I'm trying to hold onto a pole or handle so I don't fall down in the train...because unlike them I have to keep my balance instead of just sitting on my ass like they are. By virtue of the fact that I'm standing in line, I'm ahead of them and they should wait to get out behind me. If I don't get off well it makes it easier for everyone if they just waited for the train to stop.

If all of this sounds like I'm terribly worked up over the lack of a simple common courtesy then it's true. Little things annoy me. I can live with the fact that my microwave I had bought from Sears had a small crack in it potentially spewing radiation into my kitchen on a daily basis, but making me prematurely move aside on a train is going too far.

14 comments:

Random bored person.....again said...

Can I now please gloat about being from one the one country where the person who YOU bump in by mistake on the tube will also apologise :-)
But we do get starers galore....

Ahem - yes I have nothing to do. Am stuck in bed being ill and whatnot and have nothing but this laptop to give me company. I'll stop hijacking random blogs once I'm back out into the real world. *sobs uncontrollably*

Shakes said...

oh my. this is quite tragic indeed. for the record people in your country snicker uncontrollable on the tube when you pronounce your jacked up stops. call me crazy but when i see "leicester square" i call it "lay-ses-ter square." go figure. hmph. well hopefully your illness is getting better. although the sicker you get the higher my readership goes hmm. well hopefully then you don't make a speedy recovery.

Random bored person.....stalking you now said...

aaah truth is, we only have such jacked up names so we can laugh at people from your country trying to say them. It's just another attempt to socially exclude you :D

well, I'm hoping to make a damn speedy recovery! Moving out to university in a weeks time! not that you need to know that, but oh well!

Shakes said...

oh my you're going to university and stalking me! this is indeed a bad pattern. wait a sec, and you're already forced to goto shaadi meetings and whatnot. this is not good at all yaar.

Random bored person said...

aah yes, despite the fact that my parents are focused more on the 'we want a daughter who is a doctor' thing, I was blessed with MANY aunts. Quite amusing actually...one suggested we shouldn't leave girls 'on the shelf for too long'.

Do you spellcheck your blogs before you stick them up?

Shakes said...

i don't spell check, that's what your job is. you're the one whose sick. you should feel honored to have a proper job to do around these parts

Random Bored Person said...

Ahem...job with no pay?! What do I look like?! I may be ill....not stupid! (well, not today)

You should be ashamed at your suggestion...I am shaking my head at you!

Thanks for that! I now have an aching neck to add to the list of other aching parts.

*cries s'more*

Shakes said...

oh fo you should just email directly if you really have a problem with my suggestions. i mean really dragging out my dirty laundry in front of everyone is just poor form. go to your room and cry. cry!

Random Bored Person said...

aaah but my anonymity!!!!!
I say I am a random bored person from the UK...but am I really? Could I be that person that you see each day when you leave your house? or am I that close friend (assuming you have any) who is trying to get revenge for the last time you annoyed me?

Or maybe I am just a random bored and ill person who shall disappear as randomly as she appeared....

Shakes said...

oh my, quite dramatic this girl is. clearly you're not someone i see each day b/c my daily commute to work rarely involves a flight to the UK. also i'm sure you're not a close friend because you're not my mom. so there you have it. so i'm gonna guess you're the latter, a random person. although i would be interested to know how u stumbled upon the site. enquiring minds want to know.

Random Bored Person said...

ah great, so you choose to believe that I am indeed in the UK...as opposed to just lying about it. Fair enough...

oh what the hell!!! I cannot lie what with being that angel that I am. Manchester, England it is!

Was searching google for something and very randomly ended up on one of your blogs. t'was very late and I was under the influence of quite a few medications.

However, as I am (thank God!!) now feeling much better, I guess I should stop annoying you , despite the amusement it did provide, and bid you farewell.

Good luck with the blog!

Shakes said...

oh no! how sad :(
the end of an era....what else could be as exciting as commenting on my blog.
bapre baap.

Random Bored Person said...

oh the sarcasm! You know you shall miss me when I do actually leave. which I keep saying will be soon...but it will.

yes I know I am back....it's my undying love for you(!)

5 days 'til uni and my damn prof(who I am yet to meet)sends me assignments and reading lists via post! Why oh why did I pick the toughest uni in all of the world!

Shakes said...

oh fo. quite a pity parade this ladki has started. don't worry, think of the bright side, at least uni will prevent you from doing street crimes. in theory.