Tuesday, September 19, 2006

leave your favorite movie at the beep

Anybody who knows me knows that I'm a pretty swell guy. Smashingly handsome too and nice to hang out with in general. But that's neither here nor there. In any case for whatever reason on my cellphone voicemail I've always wondered why people still say "Hi, this is so-and-so, please leave your name and messange after the beep and I'll call you back. Thank you" No offense but this is 2006. If you don't understand the concept of voicemail or even an answering machine by now, there is a pretty good chance that you don't know how to make a phone call to begin with.

I mean honestly, is there really someone who listens to the message and thinks "My God, there's this voice that is talking that sounds like my friend, but it's just a recording! What should I do?!!? oh wait he/she/it has been kind enough to instruct me during this moment of crisis, phew."

It is with that thought process that I sorta have a goofy voicemail. For whatever reason over the last 3 months I've kept the same one, where I simply ask callers to "Leave your favorite movie name after the beep." Along with hearing the responses of people I know, the best part is when random people call up and answer the question. At least they do listen to the message. It's pretty bizarro to hear the range of selections. Thus it is through this highly scientific sampling that I present to you the favorite movies of random people:

1. Tow Truck Guy who dragged my car out of a ditch and was calling to see where I was - "Tombstone"

2. Dad - "
The Party"

3. Tina, the Acura Service Lady - "The Sound of Music"


4. "Shawn," the Citibank call-center dude from Bangalore - "
Sholay"

5. Dad - "
Padosan" (how dad can state two different favorite movies is beyond me, maybe he just changed his mind but it's symbolic of the many mixed messages I received as a child growing up)

6. Tara, the wrong number lady - "
Boomerang"

7. Katy - "Braveheart" (how many girls will name this as their favorite movie?")


8. Guy from the restaurant
Turkish Kitchen confirming my dinner reservation - "Die Hard"

9. "Rebecca," the Citibank call-center girl from Bangalore - "
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai"

10. A-1 Taxi, calling to confirm that my car is downstairs - "Scarface"

11. Girl from Sears calling me back about my picture appointment (for my passport photo) - "Purple Rain"

2 comments:

witnee said...

my favorite part of your message is when you laugh in the middle of repeating the instructions.
I love how you're getting a kick out of just recording the message, prob. thinking of all the fun answers you're bound to get.

Never Said I Was Clever said...

I can never think of anything interesting to say in under 15 seconds...

The princess and the warrior, way of the gun, amelie, harold and maude, princess bride, king of hearts, cry baby, fist of legend, ghost dog...