Wednesday, July 12, 2006

the wonderful world of me

Stress is a pretty weird thing. I know everyone feels like they have too much of it in their lives, and the term is definitely relative, but life is sorta weird without it. Now I know what you're probably thinking "But Shakes, why is the word Chipotle everywhere I look, whether it's the Mexican restaurant or the sauce? I'm pretty sure that word simply did not exist 4 years ago." Well that question is neither here nor there. Furthermore you're quite rude by changing the subject in the middle of my writings. Quiiiite.

So I know this sounds strange, but when was the last time you took time off from work? Chances are that it took you a few days to feel vaguely relaxed and then after the one day of enjoyment you start looking for things to get stressed with. In fact if you've ever quit your job or had a career break in your life you start making up things to stress about. Your comfort level depends on it. The absense of stress is more stressful than stress itself. At least you know what to worry about when you have it, but when you don't, the unknown can drive you crazy.

If you're like me and are tall, Indian, & handsome, going to the Motherland for a vacation is a perfect example. I'm not quite sure why but for some reason in the absence of work I will start stressing over which relative I'm supposed to spend time with or the problems of visiting different aunts back-to-back in the same day because I will somehow have to eat two full meals in a span of a few hours. Normal people don't worry about stuff like this.... but then again normal people aren't Indian.

My adventures in being a second rate psychologist will continue as I'll make the underlying caveat that different places have a different tolerance for Required Amount of Stress (RAS). I would venture to say that the RAS is rather high amongst NewYorkers and quite low in say....hmm... Jamaica. I'm not quite sure what a stressed Jamaican looks like. Maybe that's what Puerto Ricans are, stressed Jamaicans. New Yorkers rarely look relaxed...hell even going to Central Park on a sunny day is stressful.

No comments: