Sunday, June 25, 2006

DJ Shakes_2006-06-25 (Middle School)

http://hbshakes.blogspot.com
theme: Middle School mayhem

Okay, so after making it rain for the last 2 weeks because of my rainy day mix from before, this week I'll go with songs I used to love when I was in Middle School. These are the songs all the "urban" music stations played before they switched to basically all hip-hop in the early 90's (yes that means you Power 106 in LA and Hot 97 in NY). But what mix would be complete without a long, drawn out intro from yours truly. This week's edition comes in at a towering 3 minutes! What could be worth listening to for that long...god knows...and you will too after listening...

T R A C K L I S T I N G
(approx time 63min)
[0:00] Intro - Shakes bakwas/ Music History 101
[3:20] Ready for the World - Oh Sheila
[7:10] Tevin Campbell - Round and Round
[9:30] Expose - Come Go With Me
[13:36] The Jets - Crush On You
[17:39] Bobby Brown -Every Little Step
[21:23] Club Noveau - Lean On Me
[25:10] LL Cool J - I Need Love
[27:40] Nice & Wild - Diamond Girl
[31:19] Trinere - They're Playing Our Song
[34:08] Will To Power - Dreamin
[37:50] Al B. Sure - Night and Day
[41:35] New Edition - A Little Bit Of Love (Is All It Takes)
[45:26] Expose - Let Me Be The One
[49:30] Connie - Funky Little Beat
[53:23] Noel - Silent Morning
[57:35] U2 - A Sort of Homecoming


...of course I couldn't resist putting in U2 at the end. As far as the beginning part, I just how much of a music chauvanist I am more than anything. But I just wanted to point how Nina Sky's "Move You Body" has a mini tribute to Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam's gem from 1985, "Can You Feel The Beat." Likewise Afrika Bambaataa "Planet Rock" has it's main synthesizer line lifted from German electronica minimalists Kraftwerk.

DIRECTIONS: Right mouse click on the tracklisting above to save the entire mix (mp3) directly or Podcast Me! Simply drag the orange podcast icon on the top left of this page into your iTunes. Or:
  1. goto iTunes
  2. click on Advanced
  3. click on Subscribe to Podcast:
  4. paste this URL http://feeds.feedburner.com/EngineEngine9

No comments: