Friday, May 5, 2006

Puerto Ricooooo....ohhhh

I'm about to go spend the weekend in Puerto Rico and anyone who knows me knows that I get overly paranoid about everything in my personal life. The best fun is planned fun. Although I'm getting much better about this as of late, I think it's understandable that I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that the government of PR closed down earlier this week.

Going for a vacation in a land without a working goverment and few civil services operating is a bad fact pattern. It's not like I'm traveling to Sudan or anything but just to make sure everything was kosher I decided to call my hotel to see what the scene is. Unfortunately the guy at the other end of the phone line was more than enthusiastic about the crippling government shutdown. I asked the front-desk guy "So are things okay to come down this weekend still?" to which he gleefully responded "What problems? Everything is just fine! Better than ever!"

Enthusiasm makes me nervous. Unbridled enthusiasm makes me scared. But what really worries me is that he pronouced my last name perfectly. It's not hard to pronounce or anything, but rarely do people say it properly the first time. Hmm. Curious.

Let's see: the guy is unfazed by the domestic political scene and he pronounces Indian names perfectly. What the hell is going on here? Either he's the poster boy for the Puerto Tourism Board or....oh shit...or...knowing my luck my hotel desk clerk was really just a guy sitting in a call center in India.

Oh tatti.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're like traveling every weekend and hermiting (the verbal noun for the act of being a hermit)on weekdays. Random commentary aside, I look forward to seeing a nice complete photo log post when you return, and I hope that you will take advantage of the good weather and begin your ultimate frisbee training... 1 week and counting...

culturedrone said...

i can't remember the last time i made a phone call and didn't wind up talking to someone in a call center in India. they can't understand me, i can't understand them, its a perfect arrangement really...unless i actually require customer service of some kind, then its hit or miss really.