Wednesday, May 24, 2006

DJ Shakes_2006-05-23 (obscure 80's)

http://hbshakes.blogspot.com
theme: obscure 80's

Okay so my cousin requested that I do a mix of 80's songs that aren't normally heard, so I hope you like it. Clearly a few songs are not really obscure but dammit they sound good. Plus it's not like your really hear Michael Jackson's PYT toooo frequently. To help with the trip down memory lane I also included the release date of each song below. As with last week, the tracks are listed by the [min:sec] at which they appear in the mix.

T R A C K L I S T I N G (approx 68min)
[0:00] Intro - me
[0:47] Stacey Q - Two of Hearts (1986)
[4:30] Level 42 -Lessons in Love (1986)
[8:16] Pet Shop Boys - Suburbia (1986)
[11:52] Wham - Everything She Wants (1985)
[16:31] Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (1980)
[19:35] Duran Duran - American Science (1986)
[24:05] Michael Jackson - P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (1984)
[27:35] Prince - When Doves Cry (1984)
[31:29] Chaka Khan - I Feel For You (1984)
[35:57] The English Beat -Save It For Later (1982)
[39:16] Simple Minds - Alive and Kicking (1985)
[43:35] Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over (1986)
[47:16] Bruce Springsteen - I'm On Fire (1984)
[49:30] Depeche Mode - Get The Balance Right (1983)
[52:25] The Cure - Close To Me (1985)
[55:55] Morissey - Suedehead (1988)
[59:09] Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now (1984)
[61:30] ABC - Be Near Me (1985)
[64:51] Outro - me (timelesss)
[65:05] New Order - Bizarre Love Triange (1986)


Okay, time for my interesting words of wisdom. It's pretty neat to see the original release date of some of these songs and working out how old you were when they came out. In my case, more often than not I feel like the songs were oldies already by the time I was conscious of them.

The Duran Duran song is a personal favorite which has never appeared on any of their Best-Of's. What a pity. I actually got the album from my uncle (the father of the cousin who requested this mix) in India and it was my fave to listen to in the shower. Prince's "When Doves Cry" is the very first music video that I vividly remember. I remember sitting in front of my TV watching it on HBO (they used to show music videos between movies... usually before their 1,000th daily airing of "Annie") and thinking that Prince's purple motorcycle was so ├╝ber cool.

Finally Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You" was always a cool song I liked but she never meant much to me personally as an artist until 16 years after this song's release I found myself at training for work and all the kids from the London office playfully called me "Chaka Khan." I think it was a complement of sorts. I think. Those blokes are funny when they take a piss at you because you just can't figure out what the bloody hell they mean, innit?

DIRECTIONS: Right mouse click on the tracklisting above to save the entire mix (mp3) directly or Podcast Me! Simply drag the orange podcast icon on the top left of this page into your iTunes. Or:
  1. goto iTunes
  2. click on Advanced
  3. click on Subscribe to Podcast:
  4. paste this URL http://feeds.feedburner.com/EngineEngine9

9 comments:

arati said...

An 80s mix! Now we're talking!

Shwetha said...

awww !!

dude i liked this one !

but are u talking Latin or taking a piss ?


Shwetha

Shwetha said...

sorry dude i so had to...
u rock shakes.
Shwetha

Shakes said...

sure sure that's what they all say...
i try to provide for others and this is the mockery that i get. hmph.

Asian Friend said...

So this is totally rad and I am going to be listening at work tomorrow because I heart 80s music.

But can I gloat and say that many of these so-called "not usually heard" 80s songs are, for me, standard in any seminal 80s mix?

Shakes said...

yes, yes you may gloat. although you sorta already gloated before you got permission, but that's ok...

Anonymous said...

Of course I did.

But the 80s mix won't play at work, so I suppose that is my punishment. : (

Shakes said...

well can't you just download it and just play it on like windows media player or something?

Asian Friend said...

I might be a girl, but I'm tech-savvy too! The Windows media player told me, "The audio codec identified by the format tag 55 is required to play this file."

I cried a little, then realized I should try the Real Player, and that worked. Blammo! The past two days, the obscure 80s mix has brought cheer to my dull days saving the world one celebrity at a time.