Tuesday, May 9, 2006

...back from Puerto Rico...

There'a nothing quite like traveling away from home to makes you realize how much it sucks to be single. Everywhere you look you end up seeing things you'd love to do with a significant other: a place to have dinner, a square where you'd actually feel comfortable dancing amongst the locals, a place you could actually propose. It's sorta like going to a toy store as a kid and knowing that all you're doing is window shopping. For example it would take a fantastic sum of money and major coercing to convince me to goto Paris alone in the Springtime. If you're looking to feel miserable in life, try going there solo. The interim solution of course is traveling with family or friends and thus begat my trip to Puerto Rico which I went with my friends Shivin and Vinod. Besides the three of us, my desar hits were quiiiite low for the weekend. Quite.

At this risk of devling into details that have little appeal for you to read, it was the perfect blend of doing nothing and doing something for the weekend....and oh yeah you haven't lived until you've fallen face first from a jet ski going 30mph. Let's just say, I've lived (oh but my poor poor shin...). As always here are some pics I thought you'd like:

This view basically is what I looked at for two days during the daytime on the beach at La Isla Verde. I just sat on a beach chair and read my book ("Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found" by Suketu Mehta, so far so good). I also managed to pack into my bag this week's copy of Time Out NY, which is a bit funny if you think about it, because only a person living in NY would want to see what weekly events in the City they're missing out on by taking a vacation.


Old San Juan is gorgeous, especially with its colored buildings. What's sorta weird though is that as you peer into a few of the buildings, they're actually totally unlivable and decripit. The beautiful ediface is just a facade. Of course that doesn't apply to many buildings, but it makes you feel like you're walking through the backlot of Universal Studios.






The main common square in Old San Juan was dope, especially seeing lots of old couples just freely dancing to live music.






Anyone who has traveled with me knows that one thing I cannot stand is standing out in unfamiliar areas. Now don't get me wrong I like goofy pictures as much as the next person, case & point look at the picture on the left (I'm in the middle). During our dinner in Pinones (20min up the coast from San Juan) we decided that our waitress Marisol should be in the picture with us. I'm not sure if she enjoyed it as much as we did... But back to my earlier point, I'm always paranoid that danger is always lurking around the corner. I have made my disdain for standing out too much well known to the people I'm with and yet I fear that it only encourages them. After dinner we grabbed a drink at a crowded and highly shady bar/pool-hall/dance club. Much like any good Puerto Rican locals would do, Shivin hopped around the bar and asked me to take his picture with the lovely bartender (picture to the right). Surely our band of 3 Indians blended in perfectly with the locals. It is at this point that I switched my drink of choice to bottled water. For the record, I think we made the bartenders night.

Puerto Rico is home to the only natural rainforest in the US (that's right Hawaii, they were talking trash about how yours was manmade), so we spent our last day making a daytrip to see it. The stupidest fun fact that we learned was that when the PR National Forest was offically added to the US National Park System in the middle of the 1900s, the goverment planted a bunch of random pink flowers in it because they thought that otherwise the rainforest looked "too green"




...when water falls, it's called a waterfall...









The picture below is the three of us (the brown poeple on the left...I'm 2nd from the left) swimming with our fellow tour mates in the rainforest. The water was quiiiite frigid but an awesome experience. On a sidenote I believe it's a law that every tourist in Puerto Rico is from New York. It's funny seeing people from NY while traveling because the moment you discover where they're from, it instantaneously becomes okay to use the F-bomb amongst each other without any apologies. It's like our own special language. Our ride to the rainforest was peaceful enough but the moment the woman on the far right found out that we're from the City, she broke out with "Man check out this fuggin' forest. It's so pretty. F@#$." I of course happily obliged by replying "yeah, f@#$." When the other woman joined in the conversation we enjoyed the rest of our rainforest journey amidst a plethora of profanity.


Why would any airlines make the inflight movie "Big Momma's House 2"? Bakri chods.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technically, Washington State also has a rainforest as this National Park Service website helpfully explains:
http://www.nps.gov/olym/edurain.htm

Silly, Puerto Rico...

Keep your chin up, Shakes! And think frisbee...

Brian Chen said...

As James Lipton said, Martin Lawrence's performance in Big Momma's House 2 was an acting tour-de-force

Shakes said...

haha...he's so weird...that being said when Dave Chapelle was on the Actor's Studio it was like priceless

Shakes said...

hmm anonymous person ,you seem to have some semblance of a point with your rainforest issue. well, at least the PR is the only tropical rainforest. blammo, how do you like that one? unless washington broke off from the continent and moved south, but that ain't happening anytime soon.

hmm but just in case, I have emailed the national park service to get their comments we shall see what happens...

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»