My ability to spot desis, or as I call it, Desar (desi + radar = desar) is remarkable. While I fail to possess marketable skills like being an accomplished musician or tremendous biceps, my Desar is like no other. I can spot Indians while driving, at airports, behind me, it's nuts. In fact my relatives often applauded me of this talent.
Now, as a caveat, I'm not considering P.O.H.I.D. as measurements of my Gift. For those of your wondering what's a P.O.H.I.D. is, it is Places Of High Indian Density. Thus places in Jackson Heights (Queens) and Edison (NJ), hell anywhere in New Jersey are ruled out of bounds. Likewise spotting Indians in India is not a gift, but rather it's called having eyes.
For those of you who are looking to improve your Desar, here's are some helpful hints. It won't show you where all the desis are, but it will help you identify P.O.H.I.P's, or rather Places Of High Indian Probability:
- Any store with a free give-away
- Any large gathering of people in a public area with a general lack or organization
- Any large gathering
- Paan stains. These are like desi footprints. Either they are around or had been around.
- Loud bhangra music. S.I.G.'s (Shady Indian Guys) are sure to be nearby
- A fight that doesn't involve guns, knives, whites, blacks, or any other ethic group
(Click here to go back to my front page)