Tuesday, April 25, 2006

DJ Shakes_2006-04-24 (mostly Indian)

http://hbshakes.blogspot.com
theme: mostly Indian

Okay this is a mix you won't like at all. It's mostly Indian and no it's not one of those "Shekhar is going all ethnic" moments, I just struggle with how much Indian stuff I should play every week. At first I was thinking that I should mix other stuff in a bit more to keep people listening, and then I thought, "who cares what you think? I know what's good for you." The picture to the right is from a car window driving down Marine Drive in Mumbai at sunset. I personally love how the man sitting on the wall looks.

T R A C K L I S T I N G
  1. Intro -Shake'n'Bake
  2. Coldcut - True Skool
  3. Asian Dub Foundation - Tu Meri
  4. MIA - Hombre
  5. Bally Sagoo - Haye Haye Yeh Majboori
  6. film: Bluffmaster - Right Here Right Now
  7. Dhamaal Sound System - R/evolution
  8. film: Junglee - Ehsaan Tera Hoga Mujh Par (by Mohd. Rafi)
  9. film: Rang De Basanti - Roobaroo
  10. film: Dil Se - Chal Chaiyya Chaiyya
  11. Raghav - Teri Baaton
  12. Up, Bustle, & Out - Emerald Alley
  13. Midival Punditz & Rabbi - Aa Yaaraan
  14. Karsh Kale - Deepest Blue (Brooklyn remix)
  15. film: Zinda - Yeh Hai Meri Kahani (by Strings)
  16. Adnan Sami vs. DJ Sanj vs. The Police - Kabhi To Nazar Milao
  17. AR Rahman vs. Ges-e & Equal-i - So Gaye Hain (remix)
On a personal sidenote, the song in track #8, from the movie Junglee is particularly special to me. Although it was released far before my time in 1961, watching it as a kid made two impressions on me. The biggest was that the main character was also named Shekhar. At the time it was the only other person who had my name that I had ever "met." Plus the fact that it was played by the actor Shammi Kapoor, who was rather dashing (at the time), was quite helpful too. For those of you who don't know who he is, he was sorta like a Brown Elvis. The other part I liked about Junglee was that our VHS copy of the movie had subtitles, so it was one of the first Indian movies I could follow along.

As I've grown up, the story of a no nonsense businessman who learns it's okay to be a little wild and crazy has really resonated with me. I'm not going to go as far as saying that the movie taught me to be who I am or that I patterned my life after the movie, but in some subtle way this story of Shekhar, is a far more extreme version of the story of this...Shekhar.

As a final note, track #15 is by the group Strings (a Pakistani pop group) and it's absolutely badass in my opinion.

DIRECTIONS: Right mouse click on the tracklisting above to save the entire mix (mp3) directly or Podcast Me! Or simply drag the orange podcast icon on the top left of this page into your iTunes. Or:
  1. goto iTunes
  2. click on Advanced
  3. click on Subscribe to Podcast:
  4. paste this URL http://feeds.feedburner.com/EngineEngine9

6 comments:

witnee said...

Whitney Houston was the first Whitney I 'met'. Good thing I didn't model my life after her. I don't like crack cocaine all too much but hey thats my prerogative but apparently not hers.

arati said...

This podcast rocks!

Shwetha said...

now now, shekhar saab, very nice , very nice..

but phor jor kind informesan

lets do a little desi phonetics 101

u have to stress on the 'dh' in bakri chodh... and if u do it correctly its more 'thdh' but nonetheless,

i liked the music

Shakes said...

ahh! you have to gimme a hint of who you are!

Fadereu said...

yeah - this podcast rocks!!

Shake-yer-kulahs buoyz and gurrls!

Egg-jack-lee.

*dancing around the toplap*

Anonymous said...

The link you have given does not open on itunes, is it still there?