Wednesday, March 15, 2006

DJ Shakes_2006-03-15

http://hbshakes.blogspot.com

Round 6. This mix is pretty much strictly rock and I guess it's loud and angry. Hopefully you enjoy and if not well don't forget that you're getting this free...or in any case try again next week. The first song is for my friend Tyler and Kim who are moving from the NYC to San FranDisco. I hope everyone is well.

TRACKLISTING (approx 74 min)

1. Scott McKenzie - San Francisco
2. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
3. Vast - Touched
4. Tool - Eulogy
5. Audioslave - Don't Remind Me
6. The Toadies - Possum Kingdom
7. Veruca Salt - Seether
8. The Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
9. Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN cover)
10. Nick Cave - Into My Arms
11. U2 - Exit
12. Radiohead - Creep
13. Nirvana - Lithium
14. Prodigy - Breathe
15. Breeders - Cannonball
16. Smashing Pumpkins - Rhinoceros
17. Sunny Day Real Estate - 8
18. Sonic Youth - Sunday
19. Badly Drawn Boy - Silent Sigh

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with you? Are you in a f-the-world mood? Gandhi would not be proud.
-P

Anonymous said...

ShakeFoo I listened to your mix twice and tried to think about why you played these songs in particular. Let me see if I can piece it together. If I am correct at all this then I hope you are okay. Some songs seem to be a commentary on your feelings inside, such as:
- Tool ("He had a lot to say...we'll miss him")
- Audioslave (song about someone doing things they usually don't do in order not to trigger any painful flashbacks)
- Pixies (the title says it all, "Where is my mind?")

The slow songs in the middle threw me off at first but I think they are very "hard" songs without needing guitars or loud music. On "Hurt" you can hear Johnny Cash's pain. The Nick Cave song is not my cup of tea but unless I'm misunderstanding it is about a person who would appeal to things/do things he would not normally do in order to get a person, which is touching although rather dark.

U2's "Exit" is interesting also because I think it is a song about suicide, and then it goes it to the Radiohead anthem of self-loathing "Creep." This "low point" surfaces a little with Nirvana's "Lithium" which although it has elements of self-loathing ("i'm so ugly...") it is a bit matter-of-fact because it justifies each twist and turn as you can see since each line follows this format:
"[vice] that's okay 'cause [reason]"

The last song I did not think fitted very well since it is neither loud, nor angry, but I think it's from "About A Boy" and you always said that movie struck a chord with you (your Friendster profile verifies that you like it!) so maybe it is something to do with the movie.

That is my detective work for today. I hope you are okay and call me if you need. Either I am right about the themes here or you just put some random songs on and I went overboard. Also I want a shout-out on the next podcast like you did with your two friends who are moving.

- Jason/ Sherlock Homey

Shakes said...

wow jas, that is quite a bit of writing. quiiite. while i'm not gonna either confirm nor deny your analysis, i will say that by your account i'm either suicidal or need psychiatric help... don't worry i'm not suicidal =)

witnee said...

i almost jumped out of my seat when you started "singing: on the last song
not so much b/c it was bad 'singing' well maybe a lil bit but more b/c it was
unexpected. keep it up though, i like to be surprised.